X Marks The Spot

Growing up right after breakfast, we were all kicked out of the house to go outside and play so that my mother could spend the day cleaning without the added stress of having children running around, causing trouble at every turn. The routine was clockwork, we would get up, eat breakfast, run and put our shoes on and be outside within the first hour of being awake. Because of this, we had many chances to mess around. Once outside we would meet up with the other neighborhood children, all who would be outside for the same reason as us, and start playing whatever made-up game we could think of. Back then the day’s success would be measured in the amount of dirt, cuts, and bruises we brought home with us. Our innocent minds had associated blisters with success on the monkey bars, tears in our clothing from epic rounds of grounders and cuts and bruises from heroic saves from the ball getting into the net. My favorite memory, however, does not involve any of the other kids but instead the time the four of us went outside and decided to find our very own treasure. The sudden need for excitement came from the most recent episode of “The Backyardigans” (a classic).

We spent days digging, with no treasure to be found.

“Keep digging we may find treasure.”

“There’s nothing here”

“Dig on this side”

“Dump the dirt over there”

“That’s my foot”

The hole had gotten so deep yet treasure was nowhere to be found. We refused to give up, however.

“What would a pirate do”

“Well, in the Backyardigans they buried their own treasure”

“I know! Let’s bury our own treasure”

The hole itself took us three days to dig. It needed to be big and it needed to be deep. We only had two shovels and thus dividing roles became necessary. Two would dig while the other two would sit on the porch swing and watch, eating popsicles and then we would switch. The process itself was difficult, dirt in our eyes, under our nails and the exhausting process of digging, but it all paid off on the third day. We stood back and admired our hard work, the whole was finally big and deep enough.

The next task was to find items to put into the hole. We all ran inside the house kicking off our shoes and went straight to the toy box.

“Let’s bury this teddy bear”

“Hey, no that’s my bear”

“Fine this toy car”

“That’s my favorite one”

After hours of bickering we came up the following four items to burry:

• A neglected penny
  • Two Spiderwick chronicles figurines
  • A paddleboard with a red ball attached to it (we think)

Till this day the items still sit under the dirt.

Even though the memory may fade the items underneath the soil never will.

The plan is to dig the items out over this break.

I can’t wait until we do.

It’s another reminder of how simple the days once were, another look into a world now apart of the past.

Till this day X still marks the spot

Featured Image:

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/670543831990278012/

The Backyardigans episode that inspired this memory:

Season 1 Episode 1: Pirate Treasure

5 Comments Add yours

1. whyoba says:

Dear Zabu-E,

I really love the way you told this story. Switching from a narrator to an active participant in the story. I loved the simplicity of a bunch of kids trying to be Backyardigans. it was really cute and very relate able.

For me I would have liked to see you retell more of your thought process thought the story. Like what was going on in your mind while you were digging? Were there any doubts in finding treasure? Or digging a bog enough hole. Things like that.

Overall I really enjoyed reading your story and I’m really excited to read more of your work.

Lots of Love,
    Oba

2. zabu118 says:

Dear Oba!

Thank you so much for your feedback! I’m glad you liked my story and found within it something to relate too. I agree with you, adding my thoughts would add much more of a familiar and “comforting” tone.

Thank you for providing me with meaningful feedback!

– Zabu-E

3. bluesoilder4210 says:

Dear Zabu-E,

I loved this piece, it was nice and about childhood and playing outside with siblings, which is almost always good times. This whole piece goes back to nicer times with less responsibility.

Though its a very good piece, I’d say the first paragraph definitely needs some spacing. The rules of Tip Top, Time, Place, Topic, Person, is the best way to know when to start a new paragraph.

This piece has a lot of potential and just needs some editing, otherwise its very good and I think almost anyone can relate to it.

Sincerely,

Iqra

4. zabu118 says:

Dear Iqra,

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I do definitely agree with your comment. That will definitely be something I pay closer attention to in the future.

Thank you once again!

5. swapanthi says:

Dear Zabu-E,

I really enjoyed reading this. The way it’s written, and what you wrote about brought about a sense of nostalgia in me. It was interesting to read and was an excellent and entertaining personal anecdote. I hope digging out your treasure over the past week or two was just as thrilling as burying it so long ago!

If I had to offer some suggestions for future reference, I would suggest maybe proof reading your writing to make sure there are no grammar mistakes! There were a few instances where you were missing a few commas. I also kind of got the sense that you were rushing the story. As others have already said, maybe put more focus on the small details.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this and thank you for sharing!

Regards,
    Swapanthi